Thursday, September 8, 2011

Awesome Perks of Being Raised Catholic



Here's my daughter with a cake we made today to celebrate the birthday of Our Lady, the Mother of God.  I just can't get over how exciting it is to be able to celebrate, literally CELEBRATE, our Faith so often.  Before my conversion, I was a big fan of holidays.  I loved looking forward to the different seasons and their different celebrations.  Now I have even more things to celebrate since becoming aware of the Catholic Church's liturgical calendar year.  It's so cool that in my own home, the "domestic church",  I can participate in activities and devotions much like the Church at large does, all while teaching my children about their faith.  I can use art, crafts, cooking and prayer to communicate truths to them in a way that they easily understand and are drawn to.

I wonder what it must be like to be raised Catholic since I was not.  I wonder what memories my children will cherish.  I am in awe of how special EVERYDAY is when you are Catholic and you see things from an eternal perspective.  In a way, I feel deeply connected to all the preceding Christians, saints and martyrs from the last 2,000 years and this is an incredible feeling.  I hope my children pick up on this and understand eventually how our Catholic Faith is a gift handed down to us and how many people sacrificed their own lives for the Truth.  Let us never take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment